- "Salt on the Dance Floor," in Beast Within 3: Oceans Unleashed, edited by Jennifer Brozek, published by Graveside Tales on December 7, 2012.
- "Extremiades," in Like a Coming Wave: Oceanic Erotica, edited by Andrea Trask, published by Circlet Press on December 4, 2012.
- "In Blood and Song," in collaboration with Michael Ehart, in Dark Faith 2: Invocations, edited by Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon, published by Apex Publications on August 18, 2012.
- "Honorary Earthling" at Expanded Horizons, December 2011
- "Otherwise" in Brave New Love, December 2011, Running Press
- "Black Betty" at Crossed Genres December 2011
- "Beyond the Lighthouse" in River, November 2011, Dark Quest Books
- "The Last of Cherie" in Steam Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk, November 2011, Torquere Press
- "Just Between Us" in Phantom Drift, A Journal of New Fabulism, Issue 1, Fall 2011
- "The Pragmatical Princess" at Fantasy Magazine August 9, 2011 (reprint)
- "Something More" in Something More and More, May 2011, Aqueduct Press
- "Pataki" in Something More and More, May 2011, Aqueduct Press (reprint)
- "Pataki" at Strange Horizons, April 4 (Part One) and April 11, 2011 (Part Two)
- Filter House, Aqueduct Press, Seattle, WA, June, 2008
- "To the Moment," Reflection's Edge, November 2007.
- "Little Horses," Detroit Noir, NY, NY, November 2007, Akashic Books.
- "Women of the Doll," GUD Magazine, Laconia, NH, Fall 2007.
- "Deep End," 2007 Think GalactiCon Discussion Primer, Think Galactic Literary Cooperative, Chicago, IL, July 14, 2007.
- "But She's Only a Dream," Trabuco Road, March 2007.
- "The Snooted One," Farrago's Wainscot, January 2007.
- "Cruel Sistah," Asimov's SF Magazine, October/November 2005; Year's Best Fantasy & Horror #19, St. Martin's Press, NY, NY, August 2006.
- "Matched," The Infinite Matrix. (Excerpt from the novel The Blazing World, co-sponsored by the Office of Arts and Cultural Affairs.) May 2005
- "Wonder-Worker-of-the-World," Reflection's Edge. May 2005
- "Wallamelon," Aeon Magazine [Preview]. March 2005
- "Deep End," So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial Science Fiction and Fantasy, edited by Nalo Hopkinson and Uppinder Mehan, 2004, Arsenal Pulp Press, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- "Looking for Lilith", Lenox Avenue magazine #1, July 2004
- "Maggies," Dark Matter: Reading the Bones, Warner Books, NY, NY, 10020, January 2004
- "Momi Watu," Strange Horizons, August 2003
- "The Tawny Bitch," Mojo: Conjure Stories, NY, NY, April 2003, Warner Books.
- "Vapors," Wet: More Aqua Erotica, Mary Anne Mohanraj (editor), Three Rivers Press, NY, NY,
- "Shiomah's Land," Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, March, 2001.
- "At the Huts of Ajala," Dark Matter: A Century of Speculative Fiction from the African Diaspora, NY, NY, July, 2000, Warner Books. Now available in Filter House.
- "The Pragmatical Princess," Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, January, 1999.
- "Down in the Flood," PanGaia, Summer, 1998.
- "Down in the Flood," Daughters of Nyx, Fall, 1996.
- "The Rainses'," Isaac Asimov's Ghosts, NY, NY, August, 1995, Ace.
- "The Rainses'," Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, April, 1995.
- "I Was a Teenage Genetic Engineer," Semiotext(e) SF, NY, NY, April, 1989, Columbia University.
- "I Hear a Different Frontier," (nonfiction), on The Future Fire's editors' blog, edited by Djibril al-Ayad, published on June 11, 2012.
- The WisCon Chronicles 5: Writing and Racial Identity, May 2011, Aqueduct Press (editor)
- "How to Save the World, One Story at a Time" in Something More and More, May 2011, Aqueduct Press (reprint)
- "Because We Are All So Royal" in Something More and More, May 2011, Aqueduct Press (reprint)
- "Race, Again, Still" at Strange Horizons, April 4, 2011
- "Because We Are All So Royal," The WisCon Chronicles, Volume 2, Aqueduct Press, Seattle, WA, May, 2008.
- "The Third Parable," Potlatch 17 Program, Seattle, WA, February 29, 2008.
- "Dry Eyes," The WisCon Chronicles, Volume 1, Aqueduct Press, Seattle, WA, May, 2007.
- "To Jack Kerouac, to Make Much of Space and Time," Talking Back: Epistolary Fantasies, L. Timmel Duchamp (editor), Aqueduct Press, Seattle, WA, March, 2006.
- Writing the Other: A Practical Guide, with co-author Cynthia Ward, Aqueduct Press, Seattle, WA, December 2005.
Reviews, Columns, Interviews
This section includes only a small selection of the dozens of Nisi's reviews, columns, and interviews published at The Seattle Times since June 2000. Most are available at the paper's online archive.
- Interview conducted by Eileen Gunn in Something More and More, May 2011, Aqueduct Press
- "Gems and a Novel Character Emerge from Short Stories," reviews of Saffron and Brimstone by Elizabeth Hand, M Press, Milwaukie, OR, 2006; Zima Blue and Other Stories by Alastair Reynolds, Nightshade Books, San Francisco, CA, 2006; and Majestrum by Matthew Hughes, Nightshade Books, San Francisco, CA, 2007; 12/29/2006.
- "Octavia E. Butler: In Memoriam," Foundation Magazine, Kempston, Bedford, England, Summer 2006.
- "Colorful Stories," Vector Magazine, Maidenhead, Berkshire, England, May/June 2006.
- "Octavia Butler: A Parable of Talent," Colors NW Magazine, Seattle, WA, April 2006.
- "A Rational Fantasy," review of The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow, HarperCollins, NY, NY, 2006, 4/14/2006.
- "Stapledonian Vision," review of The Wave by Walter Mosley, Aspect, NY, NY, 2006, 3/24/2006.
- "Voodoo," The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy Themes, Works, and Wonders, Volume 2, edited by Gary Westfahl, Greenwood Press, Westport, CT, December 2005.
- "A Small, Perfect Book about Large, Messy Things," review of Shoot the Buffalo by Matt Briggs, Clear Cut Press, Astoria, OR, 2005, 10/21/2005 .
- "A Sudden Influx of Collections," reviews of Looking for Jake by China Miéville, Del Rey, NY, NY, 2005; Eternity and Other Stories by Lucius Shepard, Thunder's Mouth Press, NY, NY, 2005; Greetings and Other Stories by Terry Bisson, Tachyon Publications, San Francisco, CA, 2005; and Strange Itineraries by Tim Powers, Tachyon Publications, San Francisco, CA, 2005; 9/2/2005.
- "Three Novels Look at Historical Events and Ask 'What If?'," reviews of Pashazade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood, Bantam Spectra, NY, NY, 2005; The New World Order by Ben Jeapes, David Fickling Books, NY, NY, 2005; Here, There & Everywhere by Chris Roberson, Pyr, Amherst, NY, 2005; 6/17/2005.
- "A White-knuckle, Heart-pounding Ride," review of Market Forces by Richard K. Morgan, Ballantine Books, NY, NY, 2005, 3/6/2005.
- "A Triumvirate of Imagination," reviews of Life by Gwyneth Jones, Aqueduct Press, Seattle, WA, 2004; Air by Geoff Ryman, St. Martin's Griffin, NY, NY, 2004; Light by M. John Harrison, Bantam Spectra, NY, NY, 2004; 12/19/2004.
- "Appropriate Cultural Appropriation," The Internet Review of Science Fiction, October 2004.
- "Strange Grails," reviews of The Coyote Kings of the Space Age Bachelor Pad by Minister Faust, Del Rey, NY, NY, 2004; One King, One Soldier by Alexander C. Irvine, Del Rey, NY, NY, 2004; Thinner Than Thou by Kit Reed, Tor Books, NY, NY, 2004; 8/15/2004.
- "Revisiting a Fantastical Land," review of Iron Council by China Mieville, Del Rey, 2004, 7/30/2004.
- "Stars of Science Fiction Align for Nebula Awards in Seattle," 4/12/2004.
- "Mutants Unravels Mysteries of Fate," review of Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body by Armand Marie Leroi, Viking, NY, NY, 2003, 1/18/2004
- "Good House Has Stephen King Feel with a Northwest Small-town Twist," review of The Good House by Tananarive Due, Atria Books, NY, NY, 2003, 10/19/2003
- "Author Masters Novel's Multiple Personalities," review of Set This House in Order: A Romance of Souls by Matt Ruff, HarperCollins, NY, NY, 2003, 2/14/2003.
- "Pattern Recognition is Gibson at His Best," review of Pattern Recognition by William Gibson, G.P. Putnam's Sons, NY, NY, 2003, 1/31/2003.
- "Machinations of Audacious Solitaire Ring True," review of Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge, Eos, NY, NY, 2002, 9/20/002.
- "Another World within Our Own," review of The Translator by John Crowley, Morrow, NY, NY, 2002, 7/26/2002.
- "Illicit Romance Told Against Ethiopian Backdrop," review of The God Who Begat a Jackal by Nega Mezlekia, Picador USA, NY, NY, 2002, 2/15/2002.
- "Seeing the Light" review of Passage by Connie Willis, Bantam Books, NY, NY, 2001, 7/6/2001.
- "A Partnership with Plants," reviews of The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan, Random House, NY, NY, 2001, and The Sweet Breathing of Plants, edited by Linda Hogan and Brenda Peterson, North Point Press, NY, NY, 2001, 6/17/2001.
- "A Fantastic Journey," combined review of The Telling by Ursula K. Le Guin and author profile, Harcourt, NY, NY, 2000, 11/8/2000.
- "Caribbean Rhythms Set Midnight Robber Scenes," review of Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson, Warner Books, NY, NY, 2000, 7/2/2000.
- "Transracial Writing for the Sincere," Speculations, October, 1999.
- "Detectapush! Octaphone!: Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn ," The Stranger, September 30, 1999.
- "Jumping Genres: Kate Wilhelm," The Stranger, May 6, 1999.
- "Invasion of the Nerds," The Stranger, February 25, 1999.
- "A Natural Wealth: Traditions of the African Diaspora," Gnosis Magazine, Summer, 1993.
Copyright © 2012 by Nisi Shawl